Monday, March 29, 2010

Fashion Emergency Solved!

Fashion Emergency Solved!: "So, I was blissfully working away on my muslin for the background dress, when a fashion disaster struck. The weather was getting warm and I somehow had no cute spring jacket! It was a travesty, people. I called an emergency halt on the background dress, pulled McCall's 5525 out of my pattern stash, and stocked up on some navy cotton pique, stat! I'm happy to report that my condition is now stable.

I liked the 60s vibe of this pattern, so I attempted a bouffant hairdo for you.

I lined the jacket in white and navy polka dot lining fabric. (I can't remember if it's acetate or poly.)
Here's the back:
And hey! Remember this skirt?

I started with a size 16, made a muslin, and ended up taking it in a bit at the princess seams. I also narrowed the shoulders. I wanted a 'shrunken' look, but I got a little carried away. I need to go to Overfitters Anonymous or something.

I did some light tailoring, which included a back stay:

Muslin interfacing on the jacket front and around the armhole:

And padstitching on the undercollar:

Guys, I love padstitching. It makes SUCH a difference in shaping a collar!

The only design change I made was to shorten the sleeves to three-quarter length, which just felt springier to me.

The verdict? I liked this pattern quite a bit, and it also comes with some classic trench variations. Highly recommended - and a fashion emergency solved! Now we can all breathe a sigh of relief and return to our regularly scheduled sewing . . .
"

No comments:

Post a Comment