Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Must. Have. This. Dress.

Must. Have. This. Dress.: "Did you guys see the Selfish Seamstress's post on Ceil Chapman? It is, in a word, awesome. The fabulous Ms. Selfish herself commented on my Spring Fabric Fever post to say that my Liberty rose print was just begging to be given the Ceil Chapman treatment, as in the mouth-wateringly perfect draped floral sheath above. I am now obsessed and must figure out a way to make this dress. Thank you, Selfish Seamstress! (God, talk about selfish - posting helpful and inspirational tips on others' blogs? Does she ever think about anyone other than herself?!)

And now, dear friends, I need your help making this dress happen.

So here's my fabric:


The first option is to attempt some advanced patternmaking. I could be brave and use my Jenny skirt pattern in conjunction with a self-drafted bodice. I did a quick sketch, and this is what I think the lines should look like. Don't laugh at my drawing!




I think I could modify a v-neck bodice, making it very plunging and then adding some tucks at the center bust. And then the sweetheart neckline behind it looks kind of like a modesty panel or dickey that could be tacked in. Of course, this would require lots of muslins and potential aggravation.

The other option is to take a contemporary pattern and make something more inspired by (rather than directly knocking off) the Chapman.

Some possibilities? I think my top pick is Vogue 8555.



There's always the fab new Michael Kors (Vogue 1167) which has some cool draping at the bodice.

Or last season's Michael Kors (Vogue 1117), with some very Chapman-esque pleating.

(I have all these patterns on order, thanks to the current $3.99 sale!)

So what say you, dear readers? Which direction should I turn? I need lots of guidance here!
"

No comments:

Post a Comment